Thursday, September 16, 2010

"LIVING for the MOMENT"

"Living for the Moment" is easier said than done. It is easy to get preoccupied with what the future will bring and how we want our lives to be, instead of appreciating the simple pleasures of TODAY.
It's important to live "mindfully" and take notice of the things that give you joy and make you smile on a daily basis. It would be nice to think like a child again in some respects. Children are generally not worried about what happened yesterday or what will happen tomorrow - they are just living in the moment.  Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "We are always getting ready to live, but never living". I try to keep that in mind.
I work many hours in my home studio alone. It's not so bad, because I truly enjoy what I do. But I do get lost in my work and need to bring myself out of that isolated place. Stepping out also helps the artist in me to actually see things in the world for motivation and inspiration. So on this day (yes the same day I took my bio picture), I stepped out of my studio and took a walk to the lake to remind myself of the beautiful day to day things.  I know this family of ducks is appreciating me in this moment as I feed them bread and fill their bellies!  They are living for the moment probably because they simply do not know any different.  I suppose it would be good occasionally to take on the "DUCK MENTALITY" to make sure I am living life in the moment!
What inspires you to live in the moment? 

1 comment:

Aaron Christensen said...

Well said Karen. It's way too easy to self imprison ourselves in the studio. Thanks for the reminder, now I'll take a duck mentality break and wander through the garden looking for some ripe snacks.