Monday, July 25, 2011

Artists and Inspiration in Atlanta


The mart in Atlanta was amazing! So many showrooms and new products to view. It was as if I was a child in a candy store - except this was all eye candy! Showroom after showroom filled to the brim with wonderful, colorful and awesome decor for home, holiday and gift giving.



One of my favorite parts of visiting the show is connecting with the amazing artists that I have come to know over the years that are in the same industry.  We are creative, right-brained individuals that share a common passion for what we do for a living.  Since the majority of us work alone in studios on a day to day basis, getting together provides a chance for us to share our experiences on a personal level (and over a glass of wine).



It's a smaller group this go around in Atlanta at the Westin get together, but always a pleasure to see these smiling faces. Left to right standing: Karen Embry (me), Cherish Fielder, Jane Maday, Phyllis Dobbs, Brenda Pinnick, Stella Violano and (sitting in front) Sharon Himes.




On the last night before heading home, Phyllis and I had dinner down the street from our hotel. It was a time to catch up on our events from the week. Good times, good friends...




On the way out of the mart I had to stop in to visit the temporaries' booths as well as the cash & carry jewelry section of the show. I love to walk these areas and chat with exhibiting designers. Of course I couldn't leave empty handed. I came across this fun and funky necklace that spoke to me as an artist and I just couldn't resist! 




Oscar Wilde was right  ...

but, I think we should do both!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post karen!! It is fun to see everyone in the group photo. You all look great! I wish I was with you.

Samantha Walker's Imaginary world said...

Thanks for sharing your experience. Looks like you had a great time!

Karen Embry said...

Sue & Samantha, It's good for the creative spirit to get out and see what's new! Thank you for the nice comments!

Phyllis Dobbs said...

It was fun hanging with you in Atlanta! And I just love attending the market with all the fabulous colors and new products. You really came away with some nice jewelry!

Karen Embry said...

Phyllis,
Ditto! I love picking up artsy trinkets at that show! Always a deal to be had...